Navigating a world full of people can be difficult when you have the benefit of optimal hearing, but what about as a person with a hearing impairment? Dining out, talking on the phone…even being in public spaces can prove challenging if you’re experiencing any sort of hearing loss. With the advancement of technology and improved hearing aid devices, the world for people with hearing impairments can be improved with these life hacks for better hearing.
- Talking on the phone. Among our tips for better hearing, communication on audio devices like telephones are an intrical part of our society. To assist with more clarity and less issues, consider utilizing headphones with a microphone built in. These types of accessories are often noise cancelling, so they cut out the ambient sounds not relevant to your conversations. You might also consider using video chat platforms like Skype or Facebook video messaging.
- Detecting hearing impairment early. If you’re straining to hear, have ringing in your ears, or simply think something is not quite right in regards to your hearing, it can weigh heavily on you. While we always recommend seeking medical professional advice if you think you might be suffering from any sort of hearing loss, but there are apps available that can at least help reassure you. SoundCheck uses a variety of tones and exercises to determine how optimal your hearing may be.
- Use the correct ear! Research from the University of California, Los Angeles and the University of Arizona showed that our ears are not created equal. Your left ear processes music and sound more proficiently while your right ear does better with speech. So point the correct ear at the correct sound and it should help your hearing.
- Play hearing game.– Like any part of our bodies, exercise is important to longevity and health. There are apps and other training tools like ReadMyQuips available that allow you to put your hearing to the test. From ambient noise, to focusing on background speech and other tones and sounds, flexing your “auditory muscles” can help you maintain and prolong optimal hearing.
- Use white noise. This is one of those hearing life hacks that goes for everyone under the sun. White noise, even if you’re hearing impaired, can help deactivate your busy brain, calm your nerves and put your body and mind at ease. It’s one of those auditory life hacks that can positively affect people of all levels of hearing.
- Music? Protect your hearing. There are lots of life hacks for better hearing that apply to enjoying music and attending music events. Utilize custom hearing protection – this will ensure you can still hear the music without obliterating your ear drums. Use the 60/60 rule; if utilizing headphones, do not exceed 60% volume for more than 60 minutes a day. Employ some good old fashioned physics perspective by applying the inverse square law. This rule of physics dictates that doubling your distance from the source of the sound reduces the strength of the sound by 75%.
If you notice a hearing impairment, obtain a hearing device. While it may not seem like a “life hack”, hearing aids and devices should be counted among one of the top tips to improve hearing. As a person with a hearing impairment, obtaining and utilizing a hearing aid can make stark improvements on your quality of life. If you’d like to discuss the options available to you, come in and meet the hearing care professionals at Smithtown Sayville Hearing services on (631) 993-4719. Alternatively, click here to book a consultation today.
Schedule an appointment
Free hearing assessment